Timber windows and doors can offer excellent safety and security to homeowners when designed and manufactured with the appropriate features. Some of the most important security features for timber windows and doors include:
- Multi-point locking systems. These systems use multiple locking points around the door or window, making it more difficult for burglars to break in.
- High-security glazing. This type of glazing is made of tempered or laminated glass, which is more difficult to break than standard glass.
- Secure hardware. The hinges, locks, and other hardware on timber windows and doors should be high-quality and made of sturdy materials.
- Security features at the design stage. A reputable timber door manufacturer will test their products at the design stage to ensure that they are as secure as possible.
In addition to these security features, it is also important to maintain timber windows and doors properly. This includes cleaning and staining the wood on a regular basis, and ensuring that the locks and hinges are working properly.
When choosing a timber door, it is important to look for a high-quality timber supplier that offers additional security features such as multi-point espagnolette locking systems and high-security P1A or P2A laminated security glazing. A reputable timber door manufacturer will test their products at the design stage; in fact, to be installed in a new build property, windows and doors must now be compliant with Part Q of the building regulations, meaning they are certified to the PAS 24 enhanced security windows & doors scheme.
Timber windows can also be very secure, especially when they are made with high-quality materials and features. Some of the most important security features for timber windows include:
- Internal glazing. This means that the glass is placed on the inside of the frame, making it more difficult for burglars to break in.
- High-security locks. The locks on timber windows should be high-quality and made of sturdy materials.
- Secure hardware. The hinges, latches, and other hardware on timber windows should also be high-quality and made of sturdy materials.
Timber windows and doors can be a safe and secure option for homeowners. However, it is important to choose high-quality products with the appropriate security features, and to maintain them properly. By following these tips, you can help to keep your home safe from burglars.
Here’s some additional information about the security of timber windows and doors:
- PAS 24 enhanced security windows & doors scheme is a British Standard that sets out the requirements for windows and doors that are to be installed in new build properties. The scheme ensures that these windows and doors meet certain security standards, making them more difficult for burglars to break into.
- Engineered laminated timber is a type of timber that is made by bonding together multiple layers of wood. This makes it a very strong and durable material, which is why it is often used for doors and windows.
- Timber doors and windows should be installed by a competent and reputable professional who can ensure that they are installed correctly and that the security features are working properly.